Wednesday 29 May 2013

FO: Quilt

On Monday we spent the day at the National Coal Mining Museum with some friends. Although it's not far away we've not been before. The main reason for this is the underground tours are for 5+ so Orla is too young. I assumed there wouldn't be much to do if we weren't going underground so left it as "something to do when the kids are a bit older". However there was a craft fair on and a few half term events plus Alan was able to go with us with it being a bank holiday. He took Erin down the mine while I entertained Orla in the under 5's play area and seeing the horses.

There was lots to do even without going down the mine so I was definitely wrong to assume otherwise. Along with the displays and play area there was a train ride (50p single per person) and a nature trail. With it being half term there were lots of craft activities on too.

Making canaries in birdcages
Erin did really well going in the mine. It's an hour and 15 mins of walking with a battery pack to carry. She got a lump of coal when they were coming out and that is the reason for my post. Who would have thought a lump of coal would keep two kids entertained for so long. They spent most of the afternoon playing "going in the coal mine for some coal" while I sat downstairs hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt. That is how I have managed to finish it despite it being half term.

Finished quilt
This quilt has been made from a couple of charm packs. I bought one at the Festival Of Quilts last year and then thought afterwards that I should have bought two. I then decided it went quite well with another charm pack I had in my stash. I started by deciding on a layout of the squares and sewing them all together. However it wasn't really big enough so I ended up buying a bit of fabric from the same collection for the top strip. I kept the quilting simple (and quick!) and the binding was made from some leftover jelly roll strips.

One less UFO on the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment